The Rapalje Children, John Durand, 1768. Library oregon Historical Society PDF been at its present location since 1908. Sawyer in a classic Roman Eclectic style.
A renovation of the landmark building was completed in November 2011 that made it more open to the public, provided space for an interactive children’s museum, and accomplished other changes to enhance access to its collections. Louise Mirrer has been the president of the Historical Society since 2004. She was previously Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs of the City University of New York. The Society generally focuses on the developing city center in Manhattan.
The New-York Historical Society holds an extensive collection of historical artifacts, works of American art, and other materials documenting the history of the United States and New York. The New-York Historical Society’s museum is the oldest in New York City and predates the founding of the Metropolitan Museum of Art by nearly 70 years. Its art holdings comprise more than 1. Its research library contains more than three million books, pamphlets, maps, atlases, newspapers, broadsides, music sheets, manuscripts, prints, photographs, and architectural drawings.
The Society operates a website showing many images from its collection. In 2015 it announced the digitization and posting of over a thousand negatives by photographer Robert L. Bracklow from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The Historical Society was founded on November 20, 1804, largely through the efforts of John Pintard. He was for some years secretary of the American Academy of Fine Arts, as well as the founder of New York’s first savings bank.
He was also among the first to agitate for a free school system. According to the Historical Society’s first catalogue, printed in 1813, the museum then held 4,265 books, as well as 234 volumes of United States documents, 119 almanacs, 130 titles of newspapers, 134 maps, and 30 miscellaneous views. It had already collected the start of a manuscript collection, several oil portraits and 38 engraved portraits. The Historical Society suffered under heavy debt during its early decades. In 1809, it organized a celebration of the 200th anniversary of the arrival of Henry Hudson in New York Harbor.
The Historical Society and its collections moved frequently during the 19th century. In 1809, the Historical Society and its collections moved to the Government House on Bowling Green. Construction for its eighth home began September 10, 1902. Corn Planter, Seneca war chief, by F. Two notable stained glass windows are found in the library on the 2nd floor. The Arrival of Henry Hudson was designed by Mr. Calvert of the Gorham Manufacturing Company.
The Historical Society’s collection continued to grow throughout the 20th century, but renewed financial woes in the 1970s and 1980s forced the Historical Society to limit access to its collections to professional researchers. In the 1980s, under the leadership of Herbert S. In 1995, grants from the city and state restored public access under the direction of Betsy Gotbaum. Since the late 1990s, the New-York Historical Society has invested significantly in facility and installation upgrades, and conducted fundraising. It has increased its operating budget by 160 percent to enhance and expand its public programs, while maintaining a balanced budget from 1998 to the present.
The museum has mounted exhibits on national themes through history in New York. 1827, it mounted the first exhibition ever in New York City on the major but little-known role of slavery in the city’s economy and history. 65 million renovation of the landmark building on Central Park West was completed in 2011 to enhance public access to the institution’s resources. On Central Park West, windows were lengthened to form new entrances, with views into the main gallery, and windows were expanded. After reopening, the Historical Society offered a multimedia installation of major themes of American history through stories and figures from New York’s past. It also has a new section for an interactive children’s history museum. The Historical Society uses an archaic spelling of the geographic name of „New York“.
Hyphenating the city’s old name was common in the 19th century when the institution was founded, and is still used in this context to provide a unique identity. The New-York Historical Society gives three books prizes annually. Kenneth Terry Jackson 2001 to 2004. Barbara Knowles Debs, 1989 to 1992.